My weekly planning process looks at my life through four different filters.
1. Mission / Vision for My Roles & Goals
2. Movement / Proactive Progress
3. Maintenance / Sharpening the saw
4. Mistakes / Repenting & Repairing weaknesses
Following the leadership of Stephen Covey in “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” I strive to get in touch with the mission and the vision I have for my life. The four things I do initially are Vision, Validate, Verify and View.
1. Vision: I read my mission statement and connect with the I have for my life.
2. Validate: I then reflect on what I’ve read and make sure this is what I want for my life. Usually, it is just a node of the head. Sometimes it is a tweak in an area or two.
3. Verify: Next, I state to myself the rewards and advantages of the validated vision. I ask myself Is this really what I want from life. Is it what my Heavenly Father wants for me? How do I feel about it? If I feel good I go forward if not I go back and validate it again until it does feel right.
4. View: Finally, I close my eyes and strive to see the end of my life. Sometimes, I even try to see my funeral or me giving my “Last Lecture” (like Randy Pausch’s). I try to see what people remember about me. Particularly people closest too me.
For some this exercise helps them identify “Why” they do what they do. In this regard Tracy Monteforte on her PowerLine Blog put her process out like this:
Determine your “WHY” Today!
Get A Notebook and make it a nice one that you’ll enjoy working in. This will become your road map to success and will be with you through the duration of your journey.
Find a nice quiet place without any distractions. Prepare to spend at least 30 minutes on this exercise. Don’t worry about how your answers sound. Just free flow write. This is fun and can be very revealing!
- If I didn’t have to work for a living what would I love to do?
- If I were given $10 million dollars (tax free!) what would I do with it? (Of course you’d pay the bills, but after that) No limits here, write it ALL down!
- If I just found out I had six (healthy) months to live, what would I do with the rest of my life (your “Bucket List”)?
Identifying Your “WHY” Helps You Define Your True Purpose In Life!
Now try to determine the essence of these desires. Ask yourself, “if I did this, or had that, what would it bring to me?” These thoughts should reveal to you the lifestyle you want and the type of person you aspire to be.
When you know your purpose, you can put passion behind it. When you move forward with passion, there’s no stopping you and others will be attracted to follow you! Therein lies the key to success in your home-based business!
Once you have your reason, your “Why” or your “Mission/Vision” for life you can build the path to accomplish your dreams. Go do it!
“The purpose of life is a life of purpose.” —Robert Byrne